- When breastfeeding is well established
- When moving away from exclusive breastfeeding
Combination feeding is feeding your baby with breast milk part of the time and infant formula the rest of the time. This is so:
- You can go back to work but still breastfeed at night and in the morning
- Once breastfeeding is well established, your baby can be given a feed by someone else, for example, in the night
Combination feeding will reduce your supply of breast milk.
- Introduce your baby to bottles using expressed breast milk or infant formula (use a first stage infant formula if your baby is under 6 months old)
- Stick to bottle-feeding or breastfeeding at the same time each day