Handling such a tiny little bundle can be quite daunting at first. But picking up and holding your baby will become second nature before long. And the more you do it, the easier it gets.
- Support your baby’s head and neck at all times
- Cradle the base of their head and neck in your hand
- Use your other arm and hand to hold their little body. Grip them firmly but gently. Babies like the feeling of being held close so they feel snug and secure
- Alternatively, lift your baby under their arms, using your fingers to support the neck
- When carrying your baby, either cradle them in your arms or rest them against your shoulder, with their head turned to one side and your hand at their back
Click here to get a printable helpsheet on how to hold your baby